Tuesday, April 07, 2009

WWSP?

In Sparks' temporary jaunt to the city of sin, I am left to think about what he might find amusing to read whilst in a boring conference session (read: lapdance). This article posits some math questions that Larry Summers had to answer when up for a post at some schmancy hedge fund, presumably to make sure he could add and subtract without a calculator. Hosers, when I thought about "What Would Sparks Post?" this landed like manna from heaven.

More...
From the article in Slate (don't click on the link if you want to puzzle through your answers first).

Ten people are bidding on a stock at 90, while 100 people are offering to sell it at 91. What price is the next trade?

There's a dollar on the table. I'm going to flip a coin. If it comes up heads, I'll double the money. If it comes up heads again, I'll double it again. Whenever it comes up tails, we stop.

But there's a catch: You have to pay a fee to play. How much are you willing to pay?

P.S. Would do the collapsible post, but really cannot figure it out. Seems obvious, and yet...would that I had not deleted all those emails explaining how to do it. (Editor Note: Why didn't you just ask me? - Rocky)