Friday, April 10, 2009

Kumar goes to Washington!


Dude! So I have been meaning to post about this. Kal Penn, obviously known to millions as Kumar from the Harold & Kumar movies (I haven't seen either, but feel like the title sort of tells me all I need to know) and The Namesake, a too-little seen film based upon the Jhumpa Lahiri novel that I think is just great. If you have time, you should read that but also her collection of short stories called "Interpreter of Maladies". So good. I should do a separate post on this. Anyway, Kal Penn apparently has been doing other stuff, on "House" every now and then (also have never seen) but he quit to go work in the Obama administration in the Office of Public Liaison...WHICH IS WHERE I WORKED AS A WHITE HOUSE INTERN IN THE SUMMER OF 1995!!
More...

Just think, I could have worked for this guy instead of the doughy red headed pudge pudge I did work for. Who did nothing. Anyway, the Office of Public Liaison is the group that arranges for all the photo-op meetings with the POTUS. Ah, the lingo just comes right back. So the Ladies' Auxiliary of Iowa brings their delegation and they have a meeting with some elements of the administration and then the VP, or Tipper, or POTUS, or FLOTUS will come for a photo op and 6 weeks later, everyone will get a photo in the mail with an auto-pen signature.

It's not that interesting, but you sure do meet a ton of people from everywhere. And I'm sure that Kal Penn might just have to do some auto-pen photo-ops too. Maybe we'll call him the KOTUS.