Thursday, April 16, 2009

More teabagging


I live in the Bay Area, where any tax is a good and justifiable tax. But today I took a business trip to the Inland Empire – California’s GOP country. Hosers occasionally call me a rich guy. I’m not there yet, but I have nothing to complain about (though I would trade it all for a little more). Today I was cruising around with my boss who really is a rich guy, and a guy whose company we bought for nine figures. He’s a really, really rich guy. We drove by all these crazy MF’s protesting the tax system.


More...

Don’t get me wrong - we were all very touched that these working stiffs would cash in their precious vacation days to protest President Obama’s tax policy, which would raise taxes very slightly for the guys in my car, and lower them for all the sign wavers. That shows a real commitment to their countryman. Still, I’m not sure I understand their position. Are all these people really out here protesting a 3% increase in the marginal tax rate for people making over $250,000? Who would possibly be sympathetic to that position, except plutocrats?

The only other explanation is that these people cheered while their party dramatically decreased government revenue and increased government spending during an economic expansion, but are now taking to the streets because the other party is also increasing spending, this time to stave off the next great depression. That makes even less sense.

This is going to be a bizarre couple of years, GOP-wise. I predict they will put forth a real crazy dude in 2006.