Saturday, April 18, 2009

Culture Gap

Evil

One of my teachers is quite fashionable and elegant for a woman who's already 35, married, and has popped out two kids (twins). Sometimes she'll show up for class in simple, well-fitted suit and accessorize it nicely. Sometimes she'll show up in long flowing dresses, which I think were made for younger women but the dresses work on her.

Problem is, she wears her outfits two days in a row. Sometimes three!

This is not at all uncommon in these parts of the world. Fairly common, actually. It always reminds me of the first few years after my parents left the old country and came to America. I still remember the frequent scenes of my mom looking in the laundry basket and then stomping over to me to ask, "Hey, what's this doing in the laundry basket? You just wore it today! You can still wear it tomorrow!"

Side note: If you're bored and want to read about ungrateful Asian children making fun of their Fobby moms, go check out My Mom Is A Fob. For the record, I do not condone this site!