Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Venting: Glenn Beck

I've never watched Glenn Beck before, but I've heard more and more about him recently. I've been home sick today, so I thought I'd see what this guy is all about. I have been watching for less than 10 minutes. I am already fuming. I can't believe what I'm hearing. Oh God.

More...
The segment is about the Uyghurs being held in Guantanamo. I've read about this case before, so I feel like I understand it a little, though it is certainly complicated. For those who haven't heard the case, there were 22 ethnic Uyghurs (ethnic group from somewhere in China) swept up if Afganistan following 9/11. The Bush Adminsitration later cleared them, saying they are not enemy combatants, but couldn't find a country that could take them (they have asked more than 100 countries - so credit to the Bushies for trying). Albania eventually took 5 of them. Leaving 17 in Guantanamo.

Anyway, over the course of the past 10 minutes, Beck has called them terrorists, rolled his eyes at the idea of releasing them, and then unleashed this jewel regarding his exasperation at the fact that the neither the Bush nor Obama administrations can figure out what to do with them:

"May I be really rude here? I think this makes a really good case to shoot people on the battlefield."

This, coming after he acknowledged that no less than the Bush Administration had cleared them as non-ememies. His guest, to his credit, looked stunned at this.

If Glenn Beck is pulling down huges ratings we can't be far from building a replica of the Collosseum, importing a bunch of hungry lions, and having ourselves one heck of a show over July 4th weekend.

Someone better find him with a bag of coke and an underage hooker, post haste. Otherwise we're in for it.

I like writing about Idol more.