Tuesday, April 14, 2009

American Idol Rewind

I touched on the issue last week - but I really think 1 hour doesn't do these contestants justice. At this point in the competition we really need to hear full songs - all verses. We also need to hear the contestants defend themselves, explain their decisions, show some aspect of what they will be like as a celebrity, because that is what they are competing for. Instead we get a bunched of rush judging, almost no discussion with the contestants, and they still didn't make it under 1 hour (my DVR cut off before they announced Lil's phone number). It's not like this is a struggling show. I'm not a telvision producer type business guy, but I do know if you can take a top rated show from 60 minutes to 90 minutes, it makes sense. My $.02. More after the jump.

More...Allison – Glad the producers cut the casting couch portion with Quentin. Girl can really belt out a tune (even if the audio seemed a little whack – was I the only one to notice this?) I agree with Simon that she is the only female hope, but what a did dick thing to say before Lil has even taken the stage tonight.

Anoop – well, he’s wearing a sleeveless sport coat, so obviously I’m not listening to a thing he’s singing. And a Burberry shirt? WTF Anoop? Ah SNAP! He did the point in the camera trick on the last note with a tight shot and sang “I do it for youououou (voice quivering)” This kid is going for the hearts!!!! America –lookout! Someone call the medical school and let them know they might have a spot open next year. Anoop has star quality

Adam – Born to Be Wild. This was a little corny. His vocals are still otherworldly, but all the prancing and headbanging were pretty lame. Paula creamed her pants though, and since I believe the rest of America is about as batshit crazy as Paula (see: Glen Beck ratings), that bodes well for him.

Matt My Bags Are Packed Girrard - I don’t like it when a guy asks me 35 times whether I’ve ever loved a women. I have. OK. You want proof? You want me to send a photo? I’ve got some? Huh Matt? You want to see that? I bet you would like that eh? Pervert.

Danny – I can’t remember the last time I was this bored. The DMV maybe? The third time I watched That Darn Cat? That Spring Break I spent in my apartment seeing how high I could count (got to 32,689 before I quit).

Kris – Did he and Danny have side bet for who could sing their song the slowest? I call a draw. Also, is he married? I just noticed a wedding ring. He might want to take that off if he’s vying for the college freshman vote. I take mine off just to go to the deli for a sandwich.

Lil Rounds – Well, she took Catjjy’s advice and got herself some extensions. Looking good. Now if she could just get an apple bottom. Joking! I think she lives to see another well deserved day. I especially like the fact that after the song they showed “Lil’s cousins”.