Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Things That Make You Say "Good Gravy"

Every now and then I come across a fact, a tidbit, a picture, an anecdote that makes me think "Good gravy! Can that possibly be true?" I've had a couple from the natural world lately so I thought I'd share them with Hosers to see if you are equally gobsmacked.

1) In doing some reading for my upcoming trip to the Galapagos (which Evil was very excited about, and convincingly lead me to believe he was also in for the journey, for which I did oodles and oodles of research and haggling with the tour company, only to be dumped and left on my own) I read an interesting fact about tortoises. Back in the day when whalers would stop there, they would collect hundreds of tortoises to hang in the hulls of their ship to have as fresh meat. Turns out a tortoise can live for up to a year, hanging upside down in a sunless ship hull, without food or water. Good gravy!

2) Ants make up 10% of the Earth's biomass - that is 10% of the mass of all living things - plants and animals. Good gravy!