Monday, June 30, 2003

we might need a clarification: is it sleave or sleeve? Or is just evolving over time, like language in general? Very nice

Festa Junina
I want to tell you all about my saturday but its a blur, I remember the part about running in the park and I remember walking into a clothing store and nearly getting talked into buying a shirt that was too small in the shoulders from the hotest girl ever with red highlights. I also recall starting the evening with myself and the Charles River Bandit hustling out of the house and heading to some chick's apartment in Morumbi. It should be pointed out that everyone here lives with their parents till they get married. I mention this not because it is relevant to my story but rather because its one of those interesting cultural differences which is subtle but kind of important. She is the friend of a friend of CRB's and we were all (me, CRB, his friend, and his friend's friend) going to go to a Festa Junina Party at a country club that someone was a member of. What is Festa Junina you ask? Well, it seems like it can best be described as a Hoe Down or something, right down to the honky talk band. There are also a lot of people walking around in stentsons and what not (although more than once I was amused to see people wearing Titlest golf hats and trying to fit in. hah! Country club people across the world unite). I asked repeated what Fest Junina was about and I got all sorts of answers from "some sort of celebration of a saint" to "a typical brazilian party that people in the country celebrate" to "it comes from the north" to "the celebration of the saint of weddings either Paulo or Antonio" to finally "I really don't know". The point was I was at a country club at a hoe down and there was square dancing and everything and at one point I turned to myself and said "christian, you are having great fun and all, but this is a hoe down in a country club. When did you sell out?" and i turned back to myself and said "friend, I sold out a long time ago. Kick back and enjoy it, babe". I then stepped away from the mirror and bought some hot wine. Again, I noticed with glee when the crowd roared as the music switched between Creedance Clearwater Revival towards Chubby Checker and then the music lost all consistency, which was fine by me.

After a while, I noticed things were awkward, then I realized it was just me. People here are all about random eye contact. People are always making eye contact. Looking across the dance floor you can make eye contact 10 times and it means nothing. Very odd. By 3, the event was dying down and we decided to investigate another party which was occuring near my place, someone had closed off the court yard and was having a huge party to celebrate the same event. It was great fun, but I was exhausted. PDA is pretty common by the way and CRB pointed it out to me constantly. I started taking note of some of it hoping to spy some girl on girl action. Instead i spotted this one incredibly tall, kinda of chubby girl making out with this dude quite intensely and jamming her hands down her pants. WOW! What!? Crazy. around 430 I realized I was almost asleep on my feet drinking hot wine and found my other party friends sitting somewhere near the stage, probably contemplating their pained feet. We agreed we were thru and that was it.