Monday, June 23, 2003

Evil
At one point while we were seniors in college, the COB pointed out to me that had we chosen to major in IEOR instead of CS, we could have done a Visual Arts minor on the side and STILL come out of college with the same job offers that we had. I blame this all on my academic advisor. A GOOD academic advisor should have said something like this:

Evil (freshman year): I'm thinking of majoring in CS.
Advisor: Okay?... Don't you want any poontang, kid? CS is good and all, but I'm just sayin'...
Evil: There's no coochie in CS?
Advisor: Well, there are, but they're all Orthodox Jewish poon. I don't think you're gonna get near any of that stuff.
Evil: I also want a good job when I graduate.
Advisor: IEOR, kid. Go IEOR.
Evil: I can get some in IEOR?
Advisor: No. But that's where the Visual Arts minor comes in. Those girls will do you in the name of art. And they're pretty smokin' too.
Evil: NICE. (You can also replace Evil with the COB in this conversation. Everything would probably go the same, except, instead of saying "NICE" the COB would do the head nod and scratch his chin.)


Why am I dredging up this old stuff? It's not because I'm bitter (HAHAHA). Actually, it's because I came up with this great idea and I'm applying for a grant from the National Endowment of the Arts to carry through with it. Picture this...

Every day for the next 3 years, I will take a picture of myself. Naturally, over time, the pictures will show me falling apart in various and sometimes disturbing ways. HOWEVER, when I display the pictures, I will arrange then in reverse chronological order. The viewer will think that I'm actually putting myself together... but after the last (really the first) picture, there will be some note about the reverse order. I think that's powerful stuff. In anticipation of receiving the NEA grant, I'm running out and buying a beret.