Monday, March 02, 2009

Question Of The Day

Evil

I'm renting a small studio apartment while in Shanghai. Although it's not a big, comfy space, it does have nice, large windows. Even better, I'm on the 14th floor and around me are mostly shorter walkups, so I have a nice view. A nice view of construction, that is. Who needs small, old buildings when you can build luxury high-rises.

I was lying in bed watching the high-rise outside my window being built. They get things done fast here -- they must have added at least 10 stories to the steel skeleton of this building in the last few weeks. And they also made significant progress in putting on the reflective glass exterior.

This all made me wonder: how does construction take place while it rains? It's rained probably 10 out of the last 12 days here in Shanghai. It has been wet, to say the least. How does the building not get damaged? Or minimally, how does the inside of the building not get all damp and mildewy as they're putting on the glass exteriors, etc. It's a mystery. (Unless someone knows and can tell me.)