Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Inappropriate Office Talk

On Wednesday's my team has a two hour meeting first thing to discuss what we are working on. Today the topics ranged from the articles we are trying to publish on how we are automating internal management decision making to our ability to leverage internal collaboration tools (blogs, etc) so we can serve as an external reference to clients. I know, compelling...

As we left this meeting a fellow asked me about my scent. More specifically He said
"xTian, what perfume to do you wear?"

I was confused. I don't wear perfume. I wear cologne. I think there is a difference but I can't articulate it. I mumble out that I wear Paul Smith London...

"Is it unisex?"

Now I want to fight the dude...I mean wtf? right? I tell him, no its for men. I am totally self conscious about cologne. Usually I try new colognes on and walk away. If I don't hate it three hours later I make plans to return and purchase it. Even then, I usually bring a woman to help me out. I recall buying this 2 years ago with my friend W. She has a good sense about these things. Trust me this is rigorous process.

We are now on the elevator. There are other people on it with us and he presses on talking about the scent. At this point, I had to ask,

"Why does this matter?"

He looked away wistfully, "It just reminds me of a woman I used to know".

I could see the pain in his eyes, I looked at the other woman in the elevator with us and she had a full on "Geithner Face" on. I was just glad she was there, lest this dude tried to kiss me or something.