Thursday, August 06, 2009

xTian asks: Eli Manning

Eli Manning is on the verge of signing a six-year, $97.5 million contract. That would make him the highest paid quarterback in the NFL. This is big news and a huge turnabout for young Eli.
More...
About 19 months ago I sat in a bar with Mr. Shoulders watching the Giants play the unbeaten Patriots in a regular season game. As folks were wont to do at the time, Mr. Shoulders declared that he hated Eli and wanted him run out of town. I'm not as big a Giants fan, more of a Jets fan, so I could consider his emotional reaction more analytically. I demanded that Mr. Shoulders name 5 QBs he would rather have than Eli. My theory being that there were very few QBs who clearly better than Eli. Btw at that point I only had Peyton, Brady and McNabb clearly ahead of him. Mr. Shoulders came up with 5, but after a lot of struggle and debate. Two months later, Mr. Shoulders had to sit in Evil's apt and eat a d*ck as Eli Manning led the NY Giants to the Super Bowl and was proved wrong (again).

Anyway, it's two years later and Eli is about to get PAID. I imagine Killer B is somewhere throwing up in his mouth that Eli is making more money next year than Peyton. I will put the over/under for the "Eli is overrated" chats at week 2. Therefore, I pose the question again, but with a twist:

For next year, are there 5 QBs you would rather than Eli? If so, then who?

For the next six years, are there 5 QBs you would rather have than Eli? If so, then who?

I have answers for me, I'll post mine later today. But discuss amongst yourselves.