Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Sincerity



Question for all of you Hosers: What sign-off do you use for your work emails? I do not mean quick little blackberry missives; I'm talking real emails, to clients and superiors and what not.

I used to use “Regards” on all of my office emails. In fact, I had it as part of my auto-signature, so even Catjjy would get a nice “Regards” if I wrote to her from that account. I became bored with it a few years ago. Now I end with “Thank you” if thanks are warranted, or, more often, I don’t put any sign-off at all. The latter looks a little odd at the end of a formal, letter-style email, but I don’t know what else to do.


Some of this is cultural. If I were English, I would absolutely use “Cheers;” if Italian, “Ciao.” Those are great, but Americans look sorta lame using either of those.


One guy I work with uses abbreviations that he leaves the reader to figure out. Two of his favorites are “VTY” and “HTH”, which I’ve guessed to mean “Very Truly Yours,“ and “Happy to Help.” OMFG.

Sometimes I get things like “Warmest regards” or “Very Truly Yours,” but those feel WAY too personal to me. I feel like they can be used in court to prove a common law marriage.

So, what are you using?

XOXOXO,

Sparks