Monday, August 03, 2009

Outdated Concert Review: All Points West (Friday)

I woke up Friday morning excited, disappointed and fearful.

More...I was excited because I had taken the day off to go to All Points West with my pregnant cousin and her husband. She was an old school hip hop fan who was excited to see Q-Tip and The Pharcyde. Her Husband was pumped about the National, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and other. I wanted to see all of these bands but was most eager to catch Ra Ra Riot. After all, I had continue my ongoing obsession with Alexandra Lawn. We were all disappointed because the Beastie Boys would not be headlining (Get better MCA). We were nervous because there had been a torrential downpour at 5am and i was convinced we were doomed.

Rather than bore you to tears I will simply grade the acts we saw
College Humor Live (doing something stupid) - D
Fleet Foxes - B. Just not My thing.
Ra Ra Riot - B+. Would have been an A if Alexandra Lawn had actually followed through and humped her cello
Pharcyde - B. Maybe a little dated but who doesn't love "Passin Me By", no Fat Lip...who's a total genius. of course, I saw five minutes of this so my grade my not be that fair.
The National - A+. See Below
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - B. I am little over Karen O
Q-Tip - A
Jay Z - A- (great opening. he did "No Sleep In Brooklyn" as a shout out the Beasties)

Here's the National doing Mr. November.


After four hours of rain the whole thing turned into a Refugee Camp...but that's not all bad.