Monday, August 24, 2009

Fun at Work


Noting that any “Best of the ‘00s” list is not likely to change much between now and December 31, the website pitchfork.com put up its list of the 20 greatest songs of the decade. Such lists are always very subjective, of course, but I always enjoy them. I mean, it’s not like they are going to put BAD songs on the list, right? This list has a very nice write-up on each song, and a link to listen to each one. Unfortunately, it does not have a link to listen to all of them in a row, so you need to keep flipping back.

There is more electronica in this selection than one would expect from a completely neutral observer, but it is still a nice mix that covers the bases from Arcade Fire to Z, Jay. I went through it this afternoon at work and have the following comments:

1. I had not heard of 9 of the songs – a staggering 45%. What was I doing this decade?

2. Remix to Ignition by R. Kelly made the list. Catjjy and I love this song. In our house, for the past six years, Friday does not kick off the “weekend.” It kicks off the “Freakin Weekin.”

3. My list would be completely different, but there are one or two omissions from this list that surprised me. Seven Nation Army, for example, blew my socks off when KB1 played it for me in 2003. Where is it?

4. This list has Crazy in Love at #4. Any credible list has to have it in the top 10. My favorite bit of commentary from the list maker: “If someone told you that the sheet music for Crazy in Love was just a bunch of exclamation points on a staff, you would believe them, right?”

5. The #1 song surprised me, but as I listened to it again today I realized that it is a pretty freaking good song.