Monday, August 24, 2009

Outdated TV Show Review: 30 Rock

Evil

My last three years of TV watching have consisted solely of unscripted shows, so that means I haven't followed a single prime time comedy or drama series in a while. (It's amazing how much time you waste just by watching reality contest shows, sports, and cable news. Who has time for scripted shows!)

Since I am unemployed in Shanghai and my only friend is a non-talkative feline, I suddenly have a lot more time on my hands. Saw the 10 disc DVD set of 30 Rock a couple of weeks ago and decided to give it a go.

Some quickie commentary:

* I find the Liz Lemon character (played by Tina Fey) to be incredibly compelling. Every time I watch an episode, I find myself thinking, "I am Liz Lemon and Liz Lemon is me!" How strange is that? Liz Lemon is a white, female, arts-educated, creative type from smalltown PA. I am an Asian, male, tech-educated, techy type from the big city. The only commonality I can see is that Liz Lemon looks MILFy and I like to look at MILFs. Or I guess the character is so well-written / well-developed that she has universal appeal?

* I can't watch Kenneth the page without thinking of Bobby Jindal.

* Why is Judah Friedlander featured in the opening credits? He's only a minor character and he's not even funny to boot. I've never heard his character say a funny or interesting thing on the show. Also, he's a slob and a slackjaw.

* According to Wikipedia, the Jenna Maroney role (played by Jane Krawkowski) was originally supposed to go to Rachel "Bug Eyes and No Chin" Dratch. Whoa! The show would have taken on a whole different feel with that casting.

* I wonder when the Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin characters are gonna bang. I'm only through 1/3 of season 3, so if it happens in season 3, don't tell me!