Friday, May 01, 2009

Upsetting The Locals

Evil

The Fabric Market in Shanghai is awesome. There are a couple of hundred little shops that sell every type of fabric you can imagine: cottons, linens, silks, cashmere, wool in every color, pattern, and texture. Most shops have tailors, so you can pick whichever type of fabric and have them make any type of custom clothing for you.

For example, if you wanted a custom cashmere hoodie made for your 5 year old chihuahua, that would be no problem.

Seeing as I dont have a dog, I went to the fabric market to get two suits made. After some serious haggling with the chick above, I was able to finalize on two suits:

* one is white linen. inside lining is salmon-colored silk.

* the other is powder blue. inside lining is white silk.

Price for both suits was 900 RMB ($132 USD). Not bad, if I do say so myself.