Friday, December 11, 2009

Know Your Magnates

This morning X-tian and I were avoiding contributing to our firms' bottom lines by Google chatting about Rony Seikaly. In addition to having the most absurdly spelled name, X-tian informed me that his father was a "shipping magnate".

This got me pondering wtf is a magnate, and why are they always in shipping? That dude who used to nail Paris Hilton - Nacho what's his name - his father is a shipping magnate too. I think Jackie Kennedy married a shipping magnate . It seems that there are a lot of dudes with more than one ship, ergo, magnatism.

Anyway - I could only name one other type of magnate - the newspaper magnate - and there is only one of those (unless you count Conrad Black - but he's in jail).

Any Hosers have some insights on magnates? Any others that are living, that aren't in shipping? Can I be a shipping magnate?

Also, did you know Rony Seikaly is now a DJ? Of course he is. He is the son of a shipping magnate.