Wednesday, July 29, 2009

(Un) Funny People

There is probably a lot of enthusiasm out there for this movie. I mean its called "Funny People", it stars genuinely funny people like Adam Sandler, my hetero soul mate Seth Rogan and the Coppola from Rushmore! It's written, directed and produced by Judd Apatow who has written or produced every funny movie the history of mankind ever! All the makings of comedy gold - still I have my doubts.
More...
Some of Judd's movies have a habit of intermittently not being funny. Here's an example from Knocked Up. Paul Rudd's character is part of a fantasy baseball league. His wife, the totally lovely Leslie Mann, catches him in a lie about it while trailing him to see if he is cheating on her. She is crushed. They proceed to have one of the more gut wrenching arguments I have ever seen. In the end she feels totally betrayed. How could her husband take so small a lie and whip it up to a minor conspiracy? I remember sitting there perfectly still and uncomfortable for a long while. Eventually let off the awkward hook by a really well placed pink eye joke. The more I hear about Funny People, the more I am concerned that this movie will reverse the 80/20 rule of fart jokes/soul aches.

I don't know if you know this but its about Adam Sandler have some serious disease and realizing he's going to die. Hey! That's not funny

Not only that, but much like how I plan to react to eventual terminal disease, he becomes obsessed with what a mega douche he's been in his life and becomes fixated with fixing all his broken relations. I'm not going to lie, I am starting to feel really uncomfortable....

He's so alone in the world that he hires Seth Rogan to hang out while he waits to die. Wait a minute, if we make Seth a stripper with big fake boobs then....

ummm

Am I in a Dickens novel or something?