Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How Genius Is the iTunes Genius Playlist?

Most, if not all, if you Hosers are more musically inclined than me, so I could use some input on a topic...


How Genius is the iTunes Genius feature anyway. I've used it many times now and in almost all cases, it disappoints me. According to Apple's marketing copy: "Genius creates a playlist of songs that go great together."

So I've always imagined that the Genius feature would be able to put together a playlist that I couldn't do myself. Like, it could figure out that a particular song goes well after a certain other song. Maybe it has some sort or heuristic about whether an uptempo song should go here, and then a slower song could go there. And maybe it can even an analysis of which keys each song is in and arrange them in some sensible order. I imagine all this because of the "songs that go great together" part of the marketing copy.

But I am invariably disappointed by Genius because all it really seems to do is pick out songs that are similar to each other. It seems very much like the collaborative filtering feature in the iTunes Store or on Amazon ("People who bought this song also bought these other songs..."). If that's all Genius is, then it's a big disappointment.

Or am I missing something. Anyone out there having great success using Genius?