Sunday, July 19, 2009

Outdated Concert Review: Wilco Wappinger Falls, NY 7/18/2009

Last night, I joined Killer B, Beerock and Mark (nickname pending approval) for the Wilco show in Dutchess County NY.

The show was great. It was outdoors. The environment was awesome - a light breeze and some clean country air. Wilco was awesome live and went for about 2 hours. Conor Oberst was tight and a great opening act.

More...
KillerB put the whole event together. 1 Point for him.

Tickets were like $35 dollars but he suggested we spend an extra $25 dollars for some all you can eat BBQ. We needed to quickly deduct 1 point from his score. This was the worst idea ever. Had this concert taken place in Nashville, I am sure it would have featured awesome smoked meat, ribs whatever. But the residents of Dutchess County NY have a severe misunderstanding of what a Summer BBQ is. About 30 seconds in, I noticed there was nothing to put in my hamburger bun. Not only were there no ribs, there was no hamburgers. What kind of half ass BBQ is this?

Conor Oberst was dressed like the love child of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Prince. I approved.

There were lots of families about. Lots of people committing to being cool even while holding a 2 year old in their arms. The kids were into it. Dancing constantly. I can safely say I saw no one cry (except for Beerock during "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"). Even during the first encore, well after 10, kids were just passed out on the grass - peaceful. Good job kids! Bad job parents.

My favorite mom was a woman who flew in from San Diego from the show. She dragged her 7 year old daughter along, who wore the cutest Wilco Trucker hat.. The mother made note of us after her daughter overheard me expressing concern over the hamburger bun and three pieces of lettuce on her plate. She asked several questions and made a few comments about flying in from San Diego. The tattoos on her arms made me want to do her right there in the open air or possibly back at her hotel room with her daughter locked in the bathroom. These are the thoughts I have.

I had never seen the Big Dipper before but I did last night. Awesome. What kind of ghetto Boy Scout troop was I in?