Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Annual Golf Trip - PANTS REQUIRED

Tomorrow I head to New Orleans for an annual golf trip with some buddies from college. It's always a great time and I really enjoy catching up with these dudes. The planning is invariably a challenge - where to do it, when to do it, what to do about other dudes that invite themselves...which is why I was surprised at what became the big planning issue of contention this year -pants.
More...
It started innocently enough when our host, Ryan, who lives in New Orleans sent an email about a restaurant he had booked for Friday night. As a courtesy, he mentioned that attire would be "pants and a golf shirt". This was promptly greeted with a reply from dude#1:

"PANTS!!!! Seriously, it's summer. I wasn't planning on bringing anything other than shorts."

A few other emails followed pretty promptly and I (east coast pant wearing yuppie) was a little surprised to see the debate split evenly between the "Pants Are Crazy in Summer" camp and the "Wearing Pants to Dinner is What Adults Do" camp. Now, in fairness I should point out that all of these dudes live in Texas, where it is 100+ for 6 months in a row. But really - objecting to wearing pants out to dinner on a Friday night in New Orleans? Crazy? Crazy that others agreed?
This sort of thing is good for a high flying marketing executive to encounter. Reminds me I don't really understand how everyone thinks. Even dudes I've known for 15 years.