Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Crush of the Week: Zooey Deschanel


Every so often, I will notice someone I am totally aware of and suddenly realize she is the most amazing thing ever created.

One such moment happened several years ago, while re-watching the movie "Elf". There was a scene where Zooey Deschanel is in the shower and singing "Baby, It's Cold Outside" - the greatest/sleaziest song ever. Her voice was amazing and she was totally lovely. I was beside myself.

To that point, I was aware of her most as Patrick Fuget's sister in "Almost Famous" and I barely noticed her. To me this was almost a completely different person. Just a few days before this about face, Killer B had suggested we go see a band he was interested in. As a selling point, he told me that Zooey Deschanel was the lead singer and some fellow named M. Ward was also involved. My response was at best tepid. We did not go.

Later, that summer - She & Him: Volume 1 became on of my favorite albums. I found myself playing "Change is Hard" for anyone who would listen. I realized I was completely obsessed with Zooey Deschanel.

She's amazing. She's in a new movie. I can't wait. It's called 500 Days of Summer.

As a bonus, she and M reunited to contribute an sort of awesome cover to "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want". It's available here.