Monday, July 27, 2009

Feeling Paranoid

From time to time, people will ask me to read something while they are reading it too. The most common type is this: "Hey, Evil, can you come read this email to make sure everything sounds good before I hit 'send'?"


Invariably, after a few minutes, the person will say to me: "You're STILL reading?"

Yes, you douche. I read slow, ok? I've always read slow. That's why in high school, all my English electives involved writing (e.g., creative writing, journalism, etc) instead of reading (e.g., mythology, masterpieces of western literature, etc). I try to avoid reading as much as possible since I'm so terrible at it. I am both slow and my reading comprehension blows.

Now combine this natural disability with learning a new language and you have a recipe for disaster. I have two teachers right now teaching me two different subjects (one is business mandarin, and the other is HSK preparation, which is a national standardized test for mandarin proficiency). I have a feeling that both of them think I am retarded.

One of them, I think, is playing mind games with me. Every two or three days, he'll ask me, "Soooo... at our current pace of learning, do you feel like we're going too SLOW?"

Too SLOW? I am clearly struggling. Don't you mean, too FAST? Or if you don't want to insult me, just ask it neutrally, like, "How do you feel about the pace?" His questioning is making me paranoid.