Friday, February 20, 2009

Pupulist Rants



The world is completely upside down. A handful of traders eating lunch at their desk on the Chicago Merchantile Exchage are the silent majority? I'm not so sure. Sure, not all these dudes make millions of dollars a year but that's still a pretty small sample we are working with here.

As hilarious as this is, I think this is a time for sober thinking and time for a little less of this us vs. them mentality that seems to lead to endless hand wringing on cable news channels.

Outside of Jamie Dimon, I have yet to hear of anyone super pumped about the need for economic stimulus or a housing bail out. But don't we have to think about the alternatives and the people involved. I'm not willing to call everyone who can't pay their mortgage nefarious or a loser. Some are actual victims of giant systematic mess. I'm also not ready to call everyone who works at bank or hedge fund a villain in this madness, lots of them are losing their jobs too.

Is there still an opportunity to soft land housing markets that are in total collapse? I have no idea.

I think its good to not nationalize a bunch of stuff though, that would be a sign of total collapse if I could ever saw one. Meanwhile while we try to take some of the pain out of this, maybe the world will start sorting itself out.