Friday, November 12, 2004

Intervention Needed

I am sort of worried about my erstwhile chum Evil, and clearly I should do something about it. But this inclination is countermanded by my own laziness. Yes, in this case my better angels are beaten by my favorite mortal sin, sloth. That sloth guy is always mucking up all my plans. Here's the situation as I described it...

I had decided earlier today that this evening would be dedicated to finishing the book I'm reading A Gentleman of Leisure by the comedic writer, PG Wodehouse. Within two minutes I was so bored I ran out in the rain to fetch a burrito.

On the way back from Taco Bandito I decided to ring up Evil, again bored by the mundaneness of walking 1.2 blocks. When he answered, I note that Evil was somewhere between stage 1 and 2 sleep. I implored him to do better, mentioning that it was not even yet 8pm. I challenged him on this

"bro, what are you up to?"

(curtly)"nothin'"

"are you alright"

"yeah"

"were you sleeping?"

"yeah"

"why?"

"i dunno"

"are you depressed?"

"yes"

After that the conversation tailed off, I chose not to press him any further. The odd part is, that if the shoe were on the other foot and he had called earlier in the day, he would have found me in a similar similar emotional state.