Friday, July 04, 2003

Template for a Paulista's first conversation with X-Tian

I might stop talking to people and just walk around with copies of this dialogue, with a special Independance day theme...


Note: A Paulista is anyone from Sao Paulo.
Paulista: Oui, todo bem
X-Tian: Todo bem. Desculpe, Voce fala ingles
Paulista: A little, some
X-Tian: Great I am sorry, my portuguese is pretty bad. I thought my spanish would be more helpful
Paulista: No probelm I understand. I thought you were brazilian for a second
X-Tian: No, my family is ecuadorian But I grew up in the US. So its a common mistake...
Paulista: Ah I see. Where in the states?
X-Tian: I grew up on the east coast. Lived in NJ and NY Now i live in Berkeley, in...um...california...northern california
Paulista: Close to LA or San Diego?
X-Tian: No, not really...um....no
Paulista: I have been to San Diego and Orlando. I love disney world. Don't you love Disney?
X-Tian: I have only been once...odd because my parents live so close. I don't really know San Diego
Paulista: Only been to Disney once? Why? its so great.
X-Tian: Ok
Paulista: .....
X-Tian: .....
Paulista: Were you in NY for 9-11? Is everything ok now? How horrible
X-Tian: Yes I was; and yes I suppose it was. I am sure the city is umm...fine now...I have not visited in a while. New Yorkers are a tough lot.
Paulista: How does it feel to have an imperialist for a president? Who do you guys think you are?
X-Tian: It feels the same I suppose as before. I was not down for the war. I did not vote for Bush. I voted for Ralph Nader and until I think bettter on it I am supporting Howard D--
Paulista: ...I mean do you think its ok to just go and invade another country
X-Tian: No, not really no.
Paulista: But all americans agr---
X-Tian: I guess. I don't read a lot of polling data. There were a lot of protests....
Paulista:....
X-Tian:.....
Paulista: ...nice meeting you
X-Tian: ..um...pracer...