Thursday, October 29, 2009

Where Have You Gone Nelson De La Rosa?

I am not watching much of this World Series. There are two reasons for this:
(1) I would rather watch a preseason basketball game than subject myself to 4 hours of baseball (I would rate baseball as my 6th or 7th favorite sport to watch on TV, somewhere after Quiddich but ahead of cricket which can go on for days)
(2) I am an unabashed Mets fan. Again, don't ask me to actually watch a Mets game but I like the Mets. I like the Mascot, I like that Keith Hernandez was drinking in his underwear when his team came back and won the 86 World Series; I like that that the sad story of Doc Gooden is part of mythology of the NY Mets. I like that I can follow the whole tragedy on blogs/existential crisis command center for the chronically depressed like Fear and Faithful in Flushing.

As a Mets' fan, it is intellectually inconsistent to have a rooting interest in this World Series. Met fans hate the Yankees and Met fans hate the Phillies. Also Philadelphians are animals, no one wants to be associated with them. So if you are me, what do you do? I am with a tribe, my tribe has already been conquered. i say I need to stick to it. So instead of rooting or caring, I will hope that somehow both team buses end up in a bloody pile up somewhere on the NJ Turnpike.The only person I don't wish this fate on is Pedro. Maybe he can be hurled from the wreck before the petrol catches fire...

Why? Easy. Pedro is the greatest pitcher ever. I hope he throws 7 shut out innings tonight and makes everyone (NY Mets included) eat it. Then I hope he goes and makes up with Nelson De La Rosa, his mascot/good luck charm from the "Cowboy Up" Red Sox of 2004 - the only interesting baseball moment of the 00s.

Come on Pedro, man up, be a friend!