Thursday, July 10, 2008

Facebook Friends = Out of Control


Like most of the Hosers, I joined Facebook a while ago when I was sold on how well it would help me stay connected with my really cool cutting edge friends, and reconnect with some long lost cool and cutting edge friends. For 6 months or so it was great. I would post some pics here and there, send an email or two, share a joke, play a game of scrabble and maybe even send a gift on someone's birthday. Way to go Facebook!


But about the time my friend count hit 150 or so, things started going haywire. People I didn't remember wanted to be friends. People I didn't like wanted to be friends. And now, it's reached a new low - people I don't even know want to be friends. This is a total no-win. I either grudgingly accept these friends because I don't want to come off as a jerk, or I decline them and feel like a jerk. What to do?


The "girl" pictured above is Amy Short. "Who?". Exactly. Amy asked me to be her friend yesterday. Not recalling who she is I did some poking around and learned she is friends with X-tian. So, assuming this is someone X-tian has introduced me to, I ask him to refresh my memory, but it turns out X-tian doesn't know her either. Or at least they've never met in person. He just accepted her invitation.


So who is this Amy Short you ask? Well, she turns out to be the President of the New York City Sports and Social Club - the kickball league we play in. So, obviously, we're totally tight. BFF. So tight that now she's got a seat in my Facebook Purgatory, not being accepted or declined - just kinda hovering around with Matt Connells (stole my tennis racket in the 8th grade), Lesley Henry (I remember her brother more than her - he looked like Harry Connick Jr.), and Susan Valentine (awkward girl from the 3rd grade who people used to say was my girlfriend - which was NEVER true).
So I'm wondering, who do the Hosers have in their Facebook Purgatory? Creepy math teacher? Former yoga instructor? Ex-girlfriends sister? Or do you just accept everyone and move on?


And good luck with that new friendship X-tian.