Thursday, July 03, 2008

Conversation between Mom and Dad

My dad hates using the phone. Its always a surprise when he calls, sometimes even to him. On several occasions, I have answered a ringing phone only to find him asking who he was talking to. I always found this odd, and because my Dad is over 70 I have on occasion worried about his mental state. This was alleviated a few visits ago. While casually reading a book in the family room, I noticed that my mom has this trick. She dials a number and throws it to my dad whenever he is on his computer playing online card games. He always knows its coming, so he knows to catch it but never knows who he is going to get on the other end.

Its fine, because he never actually wants to talk on the phone so he does not really care who is on the other end. He will just sit there with the phone to his ear, occasionally nodding and grunting in agreement while focusing on his card game. He could be talking to my brother or his accountant. Its all the same to him.

Anyway, I perked up and paid attention when I heard him say this

Dad - "I think I should call my sister"

My mom, who is usually happily ignoring my Dad even perked up....

Mom - "which one?"

Dad - "what do you mean?"

Mom - "you have two sisters"

Dad - "Yeah...so?"

Mom - "who are you going to call?"

Dad - "when?"

Mom - "you just said you were going to call your sister"

Dad - "who? (names his youngest sister)"

Mom - "Is that her name?"

Dad - "No"

He then sat down and watched soccer with me for 4 hours.

Me - "Are you going to call anyone?"

Dad - "What for?"