Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Date or Die: Sweltering in the heat

Summertime in NYC sucks for several reasons. It smells odd everywhere, due to the trash. Dudes are over the place, crawling around, sweating on each other.

On the plus side, women look extra hot. They wear less, and on average women in NYC are better dressers than elsewhere so they know how to parlay this into more attention. Then of course, the same thing that makes me a sweaty mess is a huge advantage to women, who sweat less and usually just glisten. Sparks has a great phrase for this, "swamp glow". Give me an underdressed chick walking about in the summer with her hair up and a nice layer of swamp glow any day...I love it...

Last night, I met someone for dinner. We met at Bar Pitti. I was very early
as an errand I decided to run before hand took 45 minutes less than I alloted. I walked into the bar next to Fat Black PussyCat to kill time and cool off. I was already sweating. I spent the time drinking Blue Moons (sans orange wedge...disappointing) and chatting up the underweight but attractive waitress who was at the very least glowy...She told me her mom drinks Blue Moon, I asked her how old she was. She walked away. Classic

When finally she arrived, I was floored by her height. With heels we were eye level. Crazy. That never happens. I had long ago resigned myself to the idea that the perfect woman height for me is about 5ft 7in with heels. At that height, she can dip her head slightly and fit it under my chin which is aimed partially skyward. Standing here on sixth avenue, I wondered if it was time to rethink this. Eye level is good, great even...

When we realized the wait was 30+ minutes we decided to walk up the ways a bit to a tapas place I knew. Evil swiped this place from me 2 years ago then started badmouthing it, calling it "over" what an ahole.

Walking up the way, I kept staring at the women all around me, they were having fun in their tiny sun dresses, laughing and having a good time. This is why you do this. This is why you put up with the mugginess, the people, the smell, just to enjoy the view - the beauty of Youth, in full effect.

If this post is unfocused, its because my evening was unfocused. In addition to the distraction, I was drunk. I pounded those beers hard and followed it with quite a bit of sangria. The tapas were great. The company was great. I was not allowed to do what I normally do, which is nod and smile as the woman across the way from me pours out her hopes and fears my way. I actually had to engage. I had to tell strange stories from my past. Be honest about my hopes and fear. I got to debate Raggaeton, with me taking the position it was nonsense and she taking the position that the beat was great for dancing, even though I could imagine her dancing her around like Elaine Benes. I got to walk in the late night air.

Man, I love the summer