Friday, February 08, 2008

Misrepresentation of Facts/Bad Friends

I have a friend, I love him dearly. However, sometimes he can be out of line.

A few years ago, I introduced him to him to some people. No big deal. This guy was my brother. I liked these people. The transitive property indicated that these crowds would mesh well.

Things started off fine enough, lots of fun, some jokes and a few racy emails I was fine, no worries.

One day, I saw things take a turn for the strange. A series of jokes escalated beyond reasonable and my friend said some things in the context of a joke that were more than a bit out of line. Needless to say, my good friend ended up on the outs (cut off even) with my other friend and that was that.

I said nothing. However I made a note that maybe i should be a little more judicious about who I introduce my friend to.

Recently, I introduced him to another person, another girl, actually a close friend. I saw them exchange numbers and I thought that was great. They are in a similar field, neither was working right at that moment. Objectively speaking I was all datey/type mid week activity and excited for my friends. Eventually, worry crept into my mind.

I could not get this out of my head so the night before planned meeting. I called my friend and shared my concerns.
"Listen, you're my brother and I love you. When you get nervous, focus on being normal"

I am not sure my friend enjoyed this "pep talk". He's been very passive/aggressive about it since. I saw him the next night. He demanded I call my friend and make sure he behaved normal. He also admitted he told her about my call to him, leaving the rational behind it out, and making me look like a busy body. I was slightly annoyed. He only told her so he could record her reaction "Xtian worries too much about things that aren't his business" and so he could then relay it to me.

Now we get to why this is the Mamacita's fault.

Two days later at a dinner party I missed due to the rain. I got the A-Rod treatment from several of my friends. they turned on me. First, Mr. Shoulders, who I have been counciling through women issues, threw me under the bus as providing bad advise, but that's for a separate post. Second, my good friend again brought up the story about me imploring him to "be normal" and again left out the pertinent back story. The Mamacita, jumping to conclusions, focused on me as the issue and said "xtian over thinks things".

How dare you? Me and you are through. Who's going to be your maid of honor now?