Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's Not You, It's Me...

Evil

As you may already know, I'm the type of person who loves religion much more than politics. But this Presidential election cycle's got me thinking. I heard an interesting quip on TV the other day, about the two remaining candidates in the Democratic race. It went like this...

"The Democratic race is down to two Senators. One Senator represents New York, but was born in Illinois. The other Senator represents Illinois, but was born in a manger!"

The comment was said in jest and probably with some sarcasm and spite thrown in too. But oddly, I think it reflects what I feel -- or more aptly, what I don't feel -- for Obama.

Obama is undeniably a phenomenon. He sweeps people, even the reasonable ones, off their feet. He inspires. But he doesn't do that to me. I feel nothing for Obama. Except for a bit of annoyance sometimes. At the downward inflections in his speech. When he speaks like that, he reminds me of a college professor who I didn't particularly like. My ambivalence for Obama confuses me. I feel as though an important cultural train has left the station. All the cool kids are on it, but I'm still standing in town. I see them roll out and no one is even waving back at me.

Maybe it's the contrarian in me, but I think I'm rooting against Obama. Anyone But Obama. ABO.... ABO...