Thursday, February 21, 2008

High-End Dining

Tonight I ordered take-out from this Italian place down the street. Minimum order for delivery is $15. It's just me since KenTak3 is "traveling for work" as usual and Bruno is on vacation at his grandparents in PA. Oh well. I get a pesto spaghetti dinner and small pizza - I'll eat the leftovers tomorrow.

Turns out, I don't have enough cash when Alessandro delivers the food.

Bzzzzzzzzz... (door buzzer rings)
Me: Alessandro, I don't have money. Can I walk to the ATM with you?
A: It's $24.37.
Me: I only have $20. Can I come to the store and charge on my credit card?
He volunteers to take my card and swipe it back at the restaurant.

Bzzzzzzzzz...
A: The minimum to charge on credit card is $35.
Me: Can't I come to the ATM with you? Or else walk to the store and charge on my credit card?
A: My English is not so well. The minimum to charge on credit card is $35.
Me: Can you bring me back a tiramisu too?
A: Tiramisu? I can charge on card?
Me: Yes.

Bzzzzzzzzz...
A: The minimum to charge on credit card is $35. (Hands me the receipt to sign. No tiramisu in sight.)
Me: Fine.
A: Fine?
Me: Goodbye.

So I ended up paying a 40% tip. Booo....! Does anyone want to come over for some leftovers? Must bring own dessert.