Friday, February 08, 2008

Is This Wrong?

Evil

Oh my God! My mom is so annoying. Is that wrong to say?

My mom is 58 years old this year. It doesn't seem like 58 is time to go crazy. When do parents typically go crazy? Mid 60's or even later? But my mom is showing signs. So disappointing too, because my mom has always been the practical, reasonable one; my dad has been crazy since his mid 30s.

My mom has been bugging me to go take care of something related to the house that my parents live in. (Technically, the title of the house is in my name, which is why I have to go do it.) I've been putting it off... and off... and off. Not that it would be so hard to do, but man, what a bummer to have to take time out from playing Rock Band, napping, watching Mike and the Mad Dog simulcast, working out, and drinking alone to go meet with a real estate attorney. I think she's at the end of her rope because she's resorted to badgering me into submission. Calling... and calling... and calling. But hey, this is technology, baby. I don't have to pick up the phone!

The other day, she calls me at 9am. I know she's going to ask about the house, so I don't pick up. (Not that I was out of bed yet, but the phone was on the night stand.) She leaves a message. I don't listen to it because I know what it would say anyway. She calls again at 3pm. I let it go to voice mail. She calls again at 5pm. I actually listen to this voice mail just to make sure she isn't calling about some emergency. As expected it's about the house. 6pm rolls around and she calls again! Argh. This is getting so annoying. Doesn't she realize I'm avoiding her calls? 6:30pm... another call! I am beyond annoyed. I wonder why my mom is being crazy. 6:45pm, she calls again. I have to pick it up. This is getting ridiculous.

My mom lays a huge guilt trip on me about worrying her. She said she didn't know if I was alright or if something had happened to me. She said something about not expecting me to be at the phone all the time, but at least return her call because not returning four calls usually means that something is wrong. Booooo! Guilt trip.

In the end, I lied about having gone to see the real estate attorney. She thinks the process is underway, but it's not. But at least this will keep her from calling me for a little while!