Friday, January 09, 2009

Hiding Out In China, Spring '09

Evil

OK, starting to get my China trip planned and stuff. I've outsourced two very important tasks to my parents, which is making me a little nervous.

1. You can't get a China Visa for a stay of more than 30 days. My friends who have stayed in China for longer have all told me that they've either re-newed their passport while in China or have flown out to Hong Kong or Bangkok to get a new Visa. Renewing in-country is risky because they can always deny you for whatever reason. But as with all things China, if you have guanxi ("influence" or "know people"), you can get things done. My dad says he is good friends with someone who works at the Consulate and can get me a Visa for 100 days. He says he'll see his friend this weekend. But as with all things related to my dad, I don't know if I believe him. Waiting eagerly to see if the Visa comes through!

2. My parents go to China about every year or two. My mom says she can get me a business class ticket for around $1000. That is a great deal because when I went on Orbitz, $1000 couldn't even get me a coach class ticket (coach tickets were $1200 and up). My mom asked me if I wanted her to ask the ticket agent she uses. I was like, "Yes! Please do!" And then she said, "OK, I'll check for you next time I go to Flushing. The ticket agent has a desk inside one of the Chinese bakeries on Main Street." WHAT!?

Will probably be in Shanghai starting Feb 5th or so. Stay there til May 5th or so. And then back in New York briefly before tagging alone with Killer B and his wife on their trip to the Galapagos. Hahaha.