Monday, January 12, 2009

File Under: "Awkward Parental Interactions"

Evil

I am 32 and unmarried so naturally, there is some parental consternation that results from this. My parents try not to bug me about this matter too often, but from time to time, they can't seem to resist "reminding" me.

Usually, these reminders are not only annoying but invasive. Why do they keep trying to pry into my life? However, once in a rare while, my parents will ask in a way that's actually heartfelt. I remember once my mom said to me, "You know, it doesn't matter to me whether you marry a Chinese girl or not. She can be white or hispanic or black. All I care about is that you find someone that you care about and that you're happy." Sort of nice, right?

I was just talking to my mom about my Shanghai trip planning. And then all of a sudden, by the shift in her tone of voice, I start to think "Uh oh" because I know what she's about to bring up. She starts: "You know... while you're in China, you should try to meet some women. It doesn't matter to me whether they're from the north like Beijing or from the south like Shanghai..."

I start to roll my eyes. Another reminder!

She continues, "... I just want you to meet someone and if you like her, you should get to know her better." She pauses just a bit and then finally adds, "But only if she's already an American citizen or has a green card. If not, don't even talk to her!"