Saturday, September 26, 2009

Mixed Feelings About Hating Betty Draper

(caveat: I'm writing this just as I've finished watching season 2 of
mad men but have not yet started watching season 3.)

I find myself hating Betty draper with a passion. my mixed feeling is
not at all about whether I hate her or not. there's no debate to that
end. my mixed feeling is about my guilt for hating her.

by most accounts, it should be don draper who is at fault. him with
his numerous affairs - the artist girl, the Jewish department store
lady, the comedian's wife, the 20 year old he met in California. but
after that dinner party where Betty draper served heinekin and
everyone left and she went up to don and said "you embarrassed me."
the way she said it multiple times and the steely way in which she
said it made me so mad!!!!! how dare she talk to don like that?

doesn't she realize that everything she has is because of don? as if,
without him, she could go riding at the stables all the time and ogle
some tall awkward guy who can't ride. ugh!

intellectually I get the sense that it's wrong to hate Betty draper
and it's wrong to give don draper a free ride. but that's how I feel!