Monday, August 25, 2008

Calling All DJs


Killer B2 and I went to a wedding this weekend in Nashville. The reception was in a bar (great) and the band was an 80s covers group (greater) that had 4 different lead singers that would rotate based on what song they were covering to make sure they had the right voice (greatest).


Now, we're certainly doing a different type of reception, but one thing we can't hide from is the fact that we need to give our DJ some guidance. So far, I've just told him no one will be going "a little bit lower now, a little bit lower now, a little bit lower now", nor will anyone be spelling acronyms with their arms. What we concluded on Saturday, however, is that the 80s, for better or worse, in good times and bad, is the sweetspot for a wedding.


So the challenge to Hosers everywhere is to help us put our playlist together. Between the tens of Hose readers we must have hundreds of wedding experiences to pull from. Don't feel limited by the 80's, but use the vibe from that era as a signpost. All suggestions are welcome, though some criteria to consider would be:

1 - Will almost everyone know this song?

2 - Is it less than 5 minutes long?

3 - Is it danceable?

4 - Would it keep you from heading to the bar for another 5 minutes?


That last point isn't intended to keep people from enjoying the bar. I merely mean that in my experience, I'm often on the dancefloor at weddings thinking I could use another drink. When a crappy song comes on I make my move to the bar - but if a great song comes on, I want to stick it out.


Bonus points to anyone who takes the time to think of 4-5 song sets that should be played together for optimum performance.