Monday, August 27, 2007

Date or Die: A Small Slip Up


Anyone remember the Manifesto? The dark path was clearly and obviously called out as engaging with women from the past.

Yet there I was, Sunday afternoon happily trudging down the dark path, whistling even. My self-defeat knows no boundaries...it mocks my lighter angels and sometimes get something in "both my eyes". She was crying, not quite sobbing, just crying. I held her a bit. She cleared her eyes quickly and said "that runner thinks you just broke my heart". Of course I had not, I was just a random passerby. This is not unlike when a when I used to make a habit of stopping and helping drunk girls vomiting on the street. Not knowing what to do I would stop say "Don't worry I'm not creepy" and calmly hold their hair back as they vomited.

This was of course different. I know her but had lost track of her long ago. She found me on facebook. I had been blowing her off for weeks. I thought nothing of it as she was clearly listed as "In a Relationship" nothing bad could happen but as Sparkes was quick to point out "nothing good could come of it either".

When we spoke on the phone there we were, she started banging on about insecurities then caught herself and stopped. I thought we would be safe. Brunch was fun but then she fell apart in the park facing the Hudson river and I didn't know what to do. So I hugged her and assured her it would all be alright. In my head, something clicked and I concluded..."not for her, she will never be all right..."