Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sparks in NYC?

Yesterday I was sitting in steerage on an Ellis Island bound ferry when I came across this little fellow, so of course I immediately assumed Sparks and Catjjy were in town, because he works in private equity and their life is perfect. I was a little pissed I didn't get a call, frankly. "Can't buy a dude a beer?", I thought.

So I was relieved when I got home, did a little sleuthing, and realized it wasn't the Sparkesesses in town, but instead one of those billionaire Russian oligarchs. This is Le Grand Bleu. She is 370 feet long, and belongs to Eugene Shvidler. She used to belong to Roman Abramovich, but he gave her to his friend Eugene a few years ago. Like friends do.

Abramovich is okay though. He can still get around on water because a few days ago he took possession of Eclipse, a 557 footer, and the world's largest. Le Grand Bleu is merely the 14th largest. Embarrassingly small by oligarch (and private equity) standards.