Monday, March 17, 2008

Random Rules For Social Acceptability

Evil



Was on the R train the other night. It wasn't very crowded, so it was easy to spot a guy sitting on one of those two-seaters in the corner. He was flailing his hands feverishly. He was air drumming, much like the guy in the above video. He looked like a total tool, but I think in his own mind, he must have thought he looked pretty cool.

Why is "air drumming" socially acceptable anyway? The rules for this stuff seem random to me. Like, if you saw some dude on the subway wailing on air guitar, you'd be like, that's crazy.

At the office, once in a while, I see people practicing their golf swing... sans golf club. So I guess you can say it's "air golf." But dude, no one does any "air dribbling," "air running back," or "air stealing second base."

I mentioned this to XTIAN the other day, and he immediately asked why "air masturbation" (including making the "ooooooooooo" face) isn't more acceptable.