Monday, November 19, 2007

Trading in My Ethnic Identity for a Soggy Subway sandwhich

As I was describing this to Buck, he started pulling up Facebook.

"what are you doing?"
"I'm trying to figure out what chick you are doing this nonsense for. She's got to be hot"

"I'm not sure I understand..."

"You're stupid...you're brown. You're probably the only brown guy there."

"No, not at all...The guy who was teaching it is like Algerian or something. Although apparently, he's a professional dancer"

Buck was half right. Apparently, its Ball Season, and I'm going to be busting a move in a ball in tuxedo whites (which means tails and gloves...I just learned that!). Ostensibly, our good friend Le Troisième, put me on to this, but only with promise of bangable chicks.

I arrived promptly, at 18:45 in a sharp suit. I felt clean. It makes me feel good. Now Le Troisième had mentioned to me that he was very interested in a certain lady and showed me her on facebook to prove her worth and described her as a representative sample of the sort of women there. Many of the women there were admittedly good looking. The guys, a bit schleppy. Me in a schleppy crowd, more points for me. I'm also not in a majority at all. There's a Colombian looking chick off to the side, but given where we were I had mis-categorized her as Persian, which I would have looked upon as a plus...because I hate myself and my people.

Without much effort I was paired with Le Troisième's dream girl. She was a good height to pair with me anyway. This bodes well. My friend, a man of refined tastes, sold the girl short. She was amazing looking. I was eager to see him do well and perfectly willing to enable this. I lie. I have no interest in such a thing at all.

She asked me who invited me to participate (its a big word of mouth thing). I mentioned Le Troisième by name.

"oh, I met him last week. He's very nice"

We were mid dance but I heard her just fine. I thought quickly about how to stick myself into this mix...

"Did you say [Le Troisième] is funny?"

"No I said NICE"

"Oh, Agreed! He's very nice. But he's not at all funny"

She smiled. It was a nervous but intrigued smile. Or so my warped mind convinced me.

Extra Points: I ran into a guy I had a met a few times before. I was at a party and he had come accompanying a woman I knew. At some point she dragged me into a restroom so we could have a one sided argument, she argued I watched her pee, no money changed hands. He stood outside the door, knocking...like a chump. He acted as though he did not know me till I shouted something he would remember vaguely. I asked after our shared friend and he mumbled something about a "falling out"...he quickly introduced me to some other guy and hurried away. I love doing sh*t like that to people.