Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Has Another Year Already Gone By?

Evil

Watching "Greatest Songs of the '90s" on VH1 tonight. Man, those are great songs. I'm sitting here, watching these videos and listening to these songs and it seems like just yesterday that they were new and fresh and speaking on behalf of my youth. But when I did the math to realize how old these songs are, it brings me a little down.

#10. Nothing Compares 2 U
1990 (18 years ago) -- Sinead O'Connor is crazy but if you go back and watch this video... man, you've gotta admit, she's got a great looking face. She was only 23 back then. I love this song. Hopefully, it will make it onto a future Women For Women compilation album. DOH! Did I just say that?

#9. Losing My Religion
1991 (17 years ago) -- I always hated the lame indie kids who were totally into REM. Whatever. I was 15 years old when this song hit the charts. I remember, there was one day when I thought about this song while sitting in band class. I played the trumpet, but not very well. No one in my band class could play to save their life. Except maybe this one girl who played the baritone horn who, rumor has it, grew up to be a stripper.

#8. Waterfalls
1994 (14 years ago) -- In 1994, I started college. Shortly thereafter, I would meet XTIAN, KenTak3, and Mr. Shoulders. And it was all downhill from there.

#7. Baby One More Time
1999 (9 years ago) -- Just squeaked in to the 90s. Oh Britney, now you know how it feels like to get old.

#6. Baby Got Back
1992 (16 years ago) -- C'mon now, this song is sheer clownery.

#5. Vogue
1990 (18 years ago) -- Every time this video came on, I scooted up to the TV and watched intently. I still don't know where Madonna's nipples are in that outfit. Did they have the technology to digitally remove her nipples back in 1990? It's a mystery.

#4. I Will Always Love You
1992 (16 years ago) -- This song came out half a lifetime ago, literally. 16 years ago, Whitney Houston was thin, attractive, and not coked up... and I was the same. Now look at us.

#3. I Want It That Way
1999 (9 years ago) -- Ugh. This song blows. Except the version by the two Chinese guys. They rock.

#2 One
1991 (17 years ago) -- What is this song about anyway? Someone said it's a song about AIDS. In any event, I think U2 is one of the most overrated bands of all time. They are not really that good.

#1 Smells Like Teen Spirit
1991 (17 years ago) -- And Kurt Cobain died 14 years ago. I was never a hard core Nirvana fan, but thinking back to when Kurt Cobain died still makes me sad.