Monday, February 21, 2005

Smile Like you mean it...

I went to the movies on Friday afternoon with my spunky sidekick from work. Each part of the nickname she has earned separately. The reasoning is defined below:
(1) She’s fantastically sassy at all appropriate and occasionally inappropriate times. She’s genuinely good at making sure I stay in my place, not too high on myself and not to low, this modulation is quite appreciated.
(2)She’s part of my conspiracy to rapidly rise up the corporate ladder by doing as little work as humanly possible. Watching movies at 3pm is part of this strategy.

Btw, I’m not so secretly completely infatuated with her.

She walks into the theater spies me in the corner messing with my iPod and gives me the weakest wave ever and stalks off. There is something off with her. When I got up to where she was buying the tickets I came up from behind seeking a hug

“Don’t- I’m cranky.” She said rather coldly.

“Why”

“No reason, I’m tired, it’s cold, and people were walking 5 across in fr-..”

I’m sure she kept talking, but I tuned out. I got the gist and it’s a gist I think I effectively communicated to you so let’s just leave it at that. She’s in a bad mood.

My typical reaction is crap like this is to jump in a cab and leave. Who needs shit like this right? Of course, I’m f***ed here. I’m not in full control of my reactions when it comes to her. Also, I', pretty sure i could stare at her all day (see what i mean)

So anyway, I toughed it out, it’s a movie after all, the possibility of pissing off an already pissed of person when you’re not talking is pretty low, so long as you avoid talking.

I started reeling off jokes like there was no tomorrow. I started by joking that being in a bad mood makes it ok to be borderline rude, she moved up a few steps in the escalator subconsciously signaling her displeasure.

I persisted. It’s what I do, persist. I pushed more random jokes, all of them falling flat. Fuck her! She’s going to smile even if I have to start juggling on a unicycle.

Finally I hit-

“Do you need anything from the concession stand?”
“No, do you?”
“No, I just wanted to make sure you were not too distracted by your stalking to remember that you wanted a soda or something..”

She smiled. I won!

Sorta,

What did I win? Why did this fucking matter so much to me? What does this victory really represent?

Would it have kept us from having the eventual fight that’s starts the second I confuse my life for an episode of Dawson’s Creek?

Well, it didn’t…