Monday, February 21, 2005

The Gates

I went to see the gates two Sundays ago. It was a date, facilitated by our friends at Match.com. My roommate, the Marlboro Man, got winked at by a woman recently. He showed me her picture and asked me my opinion. I was non-committal in that way that says, “If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.".

I, of course, followed these thoughts up by rushing to my room and winking at her on match.com. Our emails were great, back and forth witty banter, incredibly long. The last email I left I offered my phone number and encouraged her to call. I spent the ensuing Saturday, high as a kite at my boy’s apartment uptown and missed her call, her somewhat spontaneous call was to invite me to see the gates. I returned her call the next day and we agreed to meet that afternoon.

She was incredibly tall, and very thin. I am also incredibly tall but shaped like an apple, at least we were at eye level. Our conversation was far reaching and last six hours. Ever go from zero to dating? I might have, of course I’m an idiot I can ruin anything, I can ruin everything and not even notice it and sit there and lie to myself about it.. I’m sure I will soon. Like in the next story…