Monday, November 30, 2009

Europe = Crazy (and intolerant)

I'm not some sort of apologist, but I can see why a lot of countries felt the right to give the US grief the last few years. We haven't necessarily been on our best behavior. But for all the criticisms that we get, you'd think Europe would be some sort of egalitarian utopia where it's nothing but high fives and free healthcare. But I'd say they're really just crazy intolerant.

It starts with the French, with their long running debate on whether to allow head scarves in school, or to allow Aram women to wear their creey eye slit outfits (I think they are called TRON robes). Then there are the Danish cartoonists who ran out of things to draw until they remembered Mohammed was a hoot. Kinda douchey, but I can let poor taste slide.

But yesterday the Swiss - the SWISS - took the intolerent craziness to a new level when they outlawed minarets. Yes, that's right, they made an architectural flourish illegal. That is the most batshit crazy thing I've ever heard of. The vote wasn't close either - 58% supported it.

Is this the craziest thing ever? Is there a war on balconies coming that I'm not prepared for?