Sunday, November 30, 2008

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do


Break up is a bit strong here. More like drifting apart. I'm talking about my wine guy, Brian.

About 18 months ago a great wine store opened up around the corner. It is owned and run by a guy named Brian. A really likeable guy. He was previously in charge of wine auctions for Sotheby's or Christies - I can't recall - but he knows his stuff. He did things the right way. He should write a book called Opening a Business in a Community 101. He hosts frequent tastings, invites local artists to show their stuff, created a stylish space, and generally just seemed to care what was going on in the area. Last year when he put a Christmas Tree up in the store he invited people in the neighborhood to bring in ornaments for which he would give away prizes. I won first prize for my garland made of MTA metro cards.

So it was a little bittersweet last night when KillerB2 and I were planning to have dinner at home followed by our own Christmas tree decorating. We decided we should pick up a bottle of wine. So I did. From the cramped wine store 3 blocks further away that I like less, with a worse selection, and higher prices. Crazy, right?

The problem is that in the run up to our wedding we stopped drinking at home. Too many empty calories - should spend that time at the gym instead etc. So I haven't been in to see Brian in 5 months or so. I think it would be weird now. I would have to explain myself - I feel like I owe him that. But I'm pretty non confrontational, so I think I'll just keep not drinking wine at home. Sucks.