Sunday, October 14, 2007

Welcome Home, Me!

Yawn! I've just come back from a week-long business trip to the UK. Reasons why I had trouble returning:

  1. Everyone departs the office at 17:30 or 18:00 to go to the pub!
  2. Everyone arrives at 09:30 or 10:00 (see point 1) to drink tea or espresso in the pantry.
  3. Everyone is ultra-polite.
  4. You can get a half-day's work done in peace and quiet, before New York comes in and makes a lot of noise.
  5. The chocolate is delicious, and vodka from parts of Europe does not get imported to the US.
On the way back to Heathrow, an ultra high-maintenance American woman is trying to hail a taxi outside of our hotel. I ask where she is headed, and her cold reply of "Just that way down the road" leaves me waiting a while longer to fetch my own cab. A few hours later, UHMA ends up seated right next to me on the flight! So I say pithily "Oh, I remember you! You were outside the Hoxton hotel. Glad you managed to find your way down the road."

PS. England wins the highly anticipated rugby match vs. France yesterday. Well done, England!