Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Manolo Watches Over the Kids

My parents, needing a well deserved vacation, decided to take one week off and went to the Dominican Republic to visit family, but mainly to sit at the beach and drink rum and cokes. I know, we are all so jealous…

This meant that my brother and sister (21 and 18 years old respectively) would have been left home alone. I am sure this is what they were secretly hoping for but given the fact that I don’t trust the little bums, I decided to pack my things and go home for the duration of my parent’s trip.

I was not prepared for what was to come. I was actually worried about the little rascals…I left work right on the dot so I could go home and cook for them. I would yell at them for not picking up their rooms or doing their chores. I would pepper them with questions…What did they do all day? How come they didn't wash the dishes? Had they eaten something? Where were they going? Who were they going with? How long were they going to be away? Did they have gas in their cars? Were they wearing clean underwear? Could they bring me a coke from the fridge?

It rapidly became a very surreal experience…I would break out into giggling fits any time people would invite me out for drinks or dinner and I would have to politely decline because I had to go home and “watch over the kids.”

What the @#$?

My parents came back about a week ago and I haven't been back since...